The UK’s Food Standards Agency (FSA) sent the warning out this week, after tests on some brands of the products revealed unsafe levels of the toxins.
“Exposure to arsenic can be associated with an increased risk of lung, skin and bladder cancer. Additionally, exposure to lead by pregnant women, infants and children poses a risk to the development of the brain which can affect intellectual performance,” said FSA.
The products tested by the agency and found to be unsafe were:
· Naturally Green, 100% bentonite clay, 250g, Batch No.17810, Best Before 2012
· Chloe’s Beauty Room, 100% bentonite clay, 250g (manufactured by Naturally Green), Batch No. 17810, Best Before 2012
· The Superfood Co., 100% bentonite clay powder, 250g, Batch No. 17810, Best Before 2012
· Health Leads, Bentonite Clay, 1Kg, Batch No.34784, Best Before 05/11
· Scent by Nature, Argiletz superfine green clay, 300g, LOT 090 -09 DL 09 11
· Seventh wave supplements, green clay (French), 250g, LOT 031090307, BB 07.03.11
· Fangocur, Mineral drink, 100ml, date of production 15 June 2009
“These products are all marketed online. They are the only clay-based drinks we’re aware of that are sold on the market and we tested them all,” said FSA.
“The FSA has only carried out testing on the specified batches of the products named above. There may be other batches of those products and other clay-based drinks on the market.”
The agency has told consumers not to drink these beverages and to consult their doctors if
they have consumed the products and feel ill.
Fuente: Food Quality News
Aporte: Leidy Beltrán